During the past few years, the internet has changed significantly. Developers have started to take matters in their own hands, meaning that the community is actively getting involved in the modernization of the internet. There is also a growing movement, called Web Assembly, that seeks to allow people to write computer data in their native languages, providing added control to the user. Finally, there is a push to spread encryption everywhere, meaning that individuals and organizations are taking steps to keep their data safe from harm. At the same time, it is important to note that hackers are getting better as well. End-to-end encryption is an important part of data security and privacy; however, is this enough? It is critical to address what data security is, as well as why privacy and data security are so important.
First, let’s answer the question, “What is data security?” Data security refers to the protective measures that an organization will put into place to make sure that data cannot be accessed by unauthorized individuals or entities. When talking about data security risk, this refers to the chances that data might be accessed by a criminal or an unauthorized individual. The importance of data security to an organization cannot be overstated because many companies store not only their own data but also the data of their customers and business partners on their servers as well. As a result, a breach in the company’s data could also be a breach of trust on behalf of clients and business partners. This is the importance of data security.
Next, it is important to answer the question, “Why is data security important?” Data security is important because businesses need to protect their confidential information. For example, if data security is compromised, then the business’s strategies or future plans could be leaked to the public. In addition, many companies store confidential information about their customers, such as credit card numbers for future payments. A breach of data security could end up releasing these to the public as well, placing them at risk.
Because today’s consumers are smarter than ever before, they care about a company’s practices. This is even more important for healthcare companies. For those wondering why data security is important in healthcare, the answer goes back to HIPAA. All healthcare companies have a duty to protect the confidential health information of patients. Without strong data security practices, the health information of patients is at risk. Overall, when answering the question, “Why is data security important now more than ever?,” this is because the world is also more connected than ever.
Types of Data Security
Next, it is important to address the types of data security. There are a few examples of data security to keep in mind. These include:
- Network Layer Security: This is one of the most common types of data security. Network layer security refers to the techniques that are used to protect traffic that is sent to and from various users over the internet. Some of the techniques that companies might use include SSL and TLS for website traffic, along with PGP for email security. Network layer security is one of the most important data security tools.
- Antivirus Software: There are also data security software tools out there. Some of the biggest risks when it comes to data security involve viruses and malware. For example, ransomware attacks are becoming more common. This is an attack where a virus encrypts all of a company’s data, making it impossible to access these files until a ransom is paid. Antivirus software can prevent malware from compromising a company’s data security.
- Email Security: Lots of data is transmitted via email so companies need to take steps to protect their email as well. Electronic mail is composed, saved, and sent in a step-by-step format. There is email security software that companies can use to defend against attacks and protect email data from criminals.
It is also important for companies to look at data security risk examples. First, the data security risk definition involves the chances that an organization might be targeted by a hacker who is seeking to steal data. Some of the most common types of security risks to organizations today include:
- Backdoor Attack: This is an attack where a hacker takes advantage of a gap in the coding of the network. They use this gap to gain access to the network.
- Denial of Service Attack: Often shortened to a DoS attack, this involves bogging down a network by hitting it with a deluge of attacks. The network will slow to a crawl.
- Direct Access Attack: In a direct access attack, hackers will try to take a hard drive, laptops, and flash drives. Then, they will copy the information they want. This is another common type of data security risk.
These are just a few of the most common cyberattacks that could be used today.
Data Privacy versus Data Security
Data privacy and data security are both major issues today, but they are not quite the same thing. For those looking to briefly describe the difference between data security and data privacy, data security refers to the policies and methods that are used to secure data. Data privacy, on the other hand, is more about proper data usage, retention, and deletion. Therefore, data privacy and security issues will address a lot of the same problems, as both focus on protecting the company’s data; however, companies address these issues from different directions.
Data Security Methods and Measures
When thinking about the types of data security measures, it is important to look at data and information security in a comprehensive manner. Some of the top data security methods include:
- Two-Factor Authentication: Two-factor authentication is one of the most popular data security techniques because it provides an added layer of protection above a password. This could include a fingerprint or a voiceprint, or it could be a digital token from an authenticator app on a mobile device.
- Back-Up Data: As one of the top data security solutions, backing up data ensures that a company has another copy of its data if the first file gets corrupted. This is one of the most essential information security tools and techniques.
- Managing IoT Security: The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing. It is a good idea to look at advanced data security technologies or a data security tools list to stay up to date on the latest developments.
- Principle of Least Privilege: When thinking about big data security tools and data privacy tools, companies can reduce their risk by following the least privilege principle. This means that if someone does not need access to something to do their job, then they should not have access. This helps companies reduce their risk.
These are a few of the top data security tools and technologies for security. All companies need to stay up to date on data privacy tools because the tools used in cyber security, including the top cyber security tools, are changing quickly to keep up with hackers.
Data Security Software
When it comes to the best data security software, this is going to take different forms for different companies. Some data security software companies specialize in protecting small businesses while others protect larger corporations. When looking for data security software, there are a few steps to follow:
- First, companies need to assess their risks and vulnerabilities. Where might attacks come from? How will these attacks present? Is there a top 10 cyber security software that can stop these attacks?
- Then, businesses need to assess their plans for future growth. Sometimes, businesses might need to upgrade their software programs quickly if they rack up more customers in short order. The software has to scale with the company.
- Finally, companies should look at their existing tools and find a program that will work well with them (or augment them).
This is a brief overview of how companies can find the right data security software for their needs.
Data Security Risk Management
Data security risk management is not a destination, it is a process. When companies look at information security risk, they should be continuously conducting a data security risk assessment. Information security risk management refers to the process of identifying, assessing, and treating risks to the organization’s current assets. IT risks come in many shapes and forms. Some of the most important information security risk categories include:
- Physical damage
- Loss of essential services
- Technical failures
- Unauthorized actions
- Natural disasters
- Compromised function
A solid information security risk plan should address all of these risks. Businesses need to be prepared to handle these risks as they arise. This will increase the chances that the company is able to respond appropriately.